Thursday, May 7, 2009

Leadership Thoughts

Well I have needed to blog so here goes..ha. I have been reading the book of Nehemiah for the past month or so, actually twice through and have been blown away at what is found in that book. If you are looking for a good one to read, take a look at that one. Matter of fact the bible is full of examples of great leaders. Leaders that were chosen by God to lead His people. Men that had wisdom, character, hearts for him, and for his people. All through biblical history there is a changing of the guard so to speak of new leaders. I have often focused on the great things that some of these leaders have done because of bible stories I've heard child, or sermons etc.. but had never really looked closely at their weaknesses. Weaknesses which eventually led to their fall. Why? I believe it was because they relied heavily on their strengths to get them through life, but failed to deal with their areas of weakness. Hidden areas of their life not exposed to the people, but totally exposed to God. Not only that, but some fell because of the influence of unbelievers around them and were doing things contrary to what God had commanded.
I believe we can learn from the mistakes of those leaders in our biblical history. If God has put you in a place of leadership there are things that we must do.

1. Pray daily-- wherever and whenever
2. Read the Bible- study it don't just read it
3. Deal with your sin- don't save it for later because of guilt
4. Get NAKED--be accountable to others
5. Ask for wisdom-- from God FIRST!!-- and maybe talk to other respectable leaders as well

Now I am NOT the expert, but I am going through alot of this right now in my own life as a leader in the church( FREE CHAPEL ). God has been dealing with me personally and I am desiring to be the best that I can be for Him and for His church. My gifts and strengths will not be of much help if I fail to deal with the weaknesses of my life.
I hope and pray that God will help all his leaders be righteous, God-fearing, people loving men and women until He returns!
Peace out!

No comments: